21 December 2007

Ulcer-->Tooth ache-->Wisdom tooth-->Surgery

At first I thought it was an ulcer. However when the pain refused to subside after one week, I thought it might be something SLIGHTLY more serious, like a gum infection, so I went to see a dentist. After probing my condition with some questions, the dentist seemed a bit unsure, so an X-ray was taken. Then, I was told that I needed a surgery, on the spot.

Ulcer-->Tooth ache-->Surgery

=O

Great, what a super dramatic twist of events! I was so stunned when the dentist said, while pointing at the X-ray, "Hmm, you see this wisdom tooth here? It's pushing against your molar, which is causing the pain. So I'm going to extract the wisdom tooth for you NOW. Please sign the consent for the surgery."

It was like, erm, I wasn't mentally prepared for that at all?! I was expecting something closer to: "Ahh, I see that you are having a sore gum there, near your molar. Probably some food stuck in there," or "It's just a mild toothache, nothing serious, so relax!" -_-

Apparently the dentist realised the shocked expression on my face, so she told me that the surgery would be a very short one, and there would be minimal pain. Ahh, yes, that helped to ease my nerves a bit. But then I recalled my experience of extracting the two lower wisdom tooth some years ago. For one week, my face was so swollen that I looked exactly like a hippo, and I got a hard time swallowing my meals. Argh! T_T

As I was told, the surgery wasn't long. It was over in half an hour. But I probably lost like 500ml of blood throughout the process? =( And at first there was no pain, but when the anesthesia wore off, the excruciating pain started to sting. X,X And for the next few days, my face would be twice its normal size... T_T

How would I have expected something that I have mistaken to be an ulcer to be so serious?? Bleh....

No comments: