Thanks to Night Cycling, I managed to catch a few meteors from the Perseids meteor shower this year! =)
Quoting Wikipedia, "the Perseids are so-called because the point they appear to come from, called the radiant, lies in the constellation Perseus." It is observable annually (as it has been for the past 2000+ years!) from around mid-July to August. To have a good view of the meteor shower, just find a nice dark spot where there is little obstruction to your view of the night sky, and try to locate the constellation of Perseus (generally to the north). Then just lie down, wait, and don't blink your eyes, because these meteors are so fast that they will disappear in a wink!
The view at Changi Beach at about 2am in the morning was not bad! I lied down on the beach and waited for almost 20 minutes before I saw one bright fireball streaking across the sky. And it was gone within a split second! I was so excited that I forgot to make a wish! x.x Haha but anyway, not long after that there was a second one! So for almost an hour I managed to see only 2 bright ones! (I think I spotted a few very faint ones but I couldn't be sure if those were just due to my mere imaginations)
And I thought that was pretty much the highlight of the whole night for me haha! Felt accomplished completing the journey for night cycling but more importantly, I saw the meteors! =)
Quoting Wikipedia, "the Perseids are so-called because the point they appear to come from, called the radiant, lies in the constellation Perseus." It is observable annually (as it has been for the past 2000+ years!) from around mid-July to August. To have a good view of the meteor shower, just find a nice dark spot where there is little obstruction to your view of the night sky, and try to locate the constellation of Perseus (generally to the north). Then just lie down, wait, and don't blink your eyes, because these meteors are so fast that they will disappear in a wink!
The view at Changi Beach at about 2am in the morning was not bad! I lied down on the beach and waited for almost 20 minutes before I saw one bright fireball streaking across the sky. And it was gone within a split second! I was so excited that I forgot to make a wish! x.x Haha but anyway, not long after that there was a second one! So for almost an hour I managed to see only 2 bright ones! (I think I spotted a few very faint ones but I couldn't be sure if those were just due to my mere imaginations)
And I thought that was pretty much the highlight of the whole night for me haha! Felt accomplished completing the journey for night cycling but more importantly, I saw the meteors! =)

No comments:
Post a Comment