I have only ridden on KTM train once, and it was from JB to KL.
It is a pity that I have never tried the shuttle service from Singapore to JB. Now that the service has ceased to exist, I won't be able to try it out anymore.
Reading about the closing down of Tanjong Pagar station, I felt both sad and happy. Sad, because the long-running service to Tanjong Pagar will become history. Perhaps more significantly, I am happy because the service was 'sacrificed' for a greater cause. As part of the package of deals, the two countries also agreed to co-develop a few prime estates in Singapore, to develop a joint project in Iskandar, and to build a rapid-transit system connecting Singapore to JB!
Honestly I am very touched to know that the station and the train service hold so much significance to so many people. I am also very heartened to see the historic event triggering so much interest in so many people. The Sultan of Johor summed it up in the best way, and I quote him:
I felt a little sad that it was a night journey and that I couldn’t see what was around me as I drove.But I also felt very honoured, because there were so many passengers. They are a testament to the bond of friendship between the people of Johor and Singapore.
Indeed, hopefully the bond of friendship between the two sides of the Causeway will only grow stronger in the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment